Marywood community signs final Learning Commons beam

Photo credit/ Photo courtesy/ Lindsey Wotanis

Sr. Anne Munley, I.H.M., Ph.D., proudly poses with the Marywood community in front of the last beam that will complete the frame of the Learning Commons.

Juliette Meyers, Arts & Entertainment Editor

Marywood University kicked off another academic year–the eve of its centennial year–on Wednesday with the annual Opening Liturgy and Community Picnic.

The Mass, celebrated by Reverend Jospeh Elston, marked Marywood’s 100th celebration of Opening Liturgy.

This year, the community picnic, held in Tree Stadium, the grassy area behind the Sette LaVerghetta Center for Performing Arts, had an exciting twist. Those in attendance were invited to sign the steel beam that will complete the frame of the new Learning Commons, Marywood’s largest centennial project.

The Learning Commons will be a 21st Century library that will become “the intellectual and social heart of campus,” according to the Bold Heart campaign.

Sr. Anne Munley, I.H.M., Ph.D., along with Reverend Elston and Sr. Ellen Maroney, president of the I.H.M.Congregation, blessed the beam. After the blessing, students, faculty, and staff were invited to leave well wishes on it.

“[I’m] a history major and I get to be a part of history. [I] signed my name. It’s there for the next hundred years,” said Nicole Tanana, a sophomore history and political science major.

Morgan Siniawa, a freshmen studying nutrition at Marywood, said she thought signing the beam was special considering she is a member of the 100th freshmen class.

While students took turns signing the beam, Chartwells coordinated a picnic complete with sandwiches, sides, and beverages for students, faculty, and staff to enjoy.

Taylor Zieno, a sophomore psychology major, said she thinks this annual tradition is a great time for people to come together and meet one another.

“It’s nice having the beam here too,” added Zieno, who said she is most excited to have a new area to study in the new Learning Commons.