Student makes sweet treats for National Suicide Prevention Day

Photo credit/ Anne Zukowski

Outside of Christina’s dorm door a can of lollipops and awareness signs on her door.

Amanda Duncklee, Community Editor

A lollipop can save a life.

That’s what higher administration education grad student Christina Sauer believed when she made and shared lollipops in the shape of yellow awareness ribbons to promote awareness of Suicide Prevention Day on September 10.

Sauer placed the lollipops in a bucket outside of her room on the second floor of Madonna and encouraged people to take them. Each lollipop has a piece of paper with a challenge written on it.

The challenge was written in yellow capital letters and read, “I challenge you to write a message of hope to 3 people on campus in honor of World Suicide Prevention Day 9/10 & include #MarywoodTomorrow15 For more info: www.twloha.com.

Visit the website for To Write Love on Her Arms, a non-profit organization that seeks to give hope to those struggling with depression, addiction, self-injury and suicide.

“I wanted to raise awareness for National Suicide Prevention Week and National Suicide Prevention Day,” said Sauer. “I sent an e-mail to the people in my hallway letting them know about National Suicide Prevention Week.”

The hashtag #MarywoodTomorrow15 correlates with the TWLOHA campaign for 2015.

“Each year, the slogan changes,” said Sauer. “This year, it is ‘We’ll see you tomorrow.’

Sauer made 25 lollipops by herself in her dorm room by melting the chocolate, putting the chocolate in the molds and using her freezer to solidify the lollipops.

“A couple years ago I started putting candy outside my dorm in my hallway,” said Sauer. “People seemed to appreciate it; I got Post-It notes and cards thanking me. Two years ago, I made awareness lollipops for Carritas Club’s [social work club] ‘Out of the Darkness Walk’ and asked for donations to the cause.”

Sauer does not charge for the lollipops. “I’m a super poor college student, and I know others are too. I want to make people smile and give hope.”

Elspeth Peterson, a higher education administration grad student and Residential Assistant at the Woodland Apartments, said she is pleased that a student is taking action to raise awareness.

“I think it’s really good because people who suffer from mental illnesses aren’t always free to talk about these things,” said Peterson. “It’s good for her to reach out and help people who are struggling.”

“I hope the lollipops will make people happy,”said Sauer. “I believe we all hold weight in this world; you never know how much you can truly touch someone.”

As for next year, Sauer plans on making more lollipops and welcomes help. Those interested can reach her at [email protected].

Contact the writer: [email protected]