History Society hosts trivia nights

Photo credit/ Bethany Wade

Tom Skrutski, a junior business management major, answers a question on behalf of his team.

Paul Capoccia, Community Editor

It’s time for some trivia. History trivia, that is.

The History Society is continuing to host trivia nights with a historical spin. They have previously hosted events on Feb. 15 and March 22 and will be hosting three others on April 5, April 26 and May 3.
All the trivia nights take place in the Upper Main Dining Hall in Nazareth Hall from 9 p.m. to 11 p.m.

The night features Jeopardy-style trivia with small teams on each of the Wednesday nights, according to its entries on the Marywood events calendar. Small prizes are awarded to the top teams at each night.

Photo credit/ Bethany Wade
Valerie Tassey, a freshman speech pathology major, Brianna Shulde, an undeclared freshman, and Tom Skrutski, a junior business management major, deliberate over an answer during trivia night.

Dr. Adam Shprintzen, assistant professor of social sciences and faculty advisor for the History Society club, is happy the club is hosting this trivia series after a successful history film series the club hosted during the fall semester.

“Trivia nights are a great way to expand on that presence and visibility the club has been working on and to show the ways history is an important and relevant way of trying to understand the world,” said Shprintzen.

The trivia nights have the following five themes respectively: Black History Month, presidential, the Renaissance and the Middle Ages, military and popular culture.

Kaitlyn Porter, a senior history/political science major and president of the History Society, is excited to see the club being more active this academic year.

“We wanted to introduce something more interactive to show history isn’t always boring,” Porter explained.

Porter said she also likes the intimacy of these smaller history trivia nights versus the larger Student Activities Crew (SAC) events.

“It’s fun to do little competitive things without it being a huge thing,” said Porter. “It’s a little more team and small group-oriented.”

Photo credit/ Bethany Wade
Kaitlyn Porter, a senior history/political science major, and Justin Allen, a senior psychology major, wait as teams discuss their answer to a question.

Twitter: @PaulCapocciaTWW