Places to visit this fall in NEPA

Photo credit/ Kelsey Van Horn

McKensie Curnow, A&E Editor

Autumn has arrived in NEPA. Lucky for us, Pennsylvania is one of the greatest places to be during this season. Not only does the rich and vibrant foliage create a breathtaking view, but there also seems to be endless amount of activities to do and places to visit.

Take a break from the books and spend some quality with Mama Earth. Here are a few attractions guaranteed to cure your weekend boredom this fall.

1. Roba’s Family Farm
Located at 230 Decker Road, 
Dalton Pa.
(approx. 22 min from campus)
You could spend hours upon hours at Roba’s. There are so many activities to choose from all in one place. Get lost in a corn maze, pick the perfect pumpkin from the patch, feed some farm animals, sit around a campfire with friends, and take in the view of the gorgeous farm while enjoying a hayride. At the end of the day, you can indulge in treats such as kettle corn, cider donuts, and even apple cider slushies. The farm is open daily through Oct. 31. Tip: Show your college ID on a Friday and receive a discount ticket for $9.95

2. Reaper’s Revenge Haunted Hayride
Located at 460 Green Grove Road, 
Scranton Pa
(approx. 17 min from campus)
Looking for something a bit spookier? Look no further than this 90-minute long haunted attraction. At $35 per ticket, Reaper’s Revenge includes a haunted hayride, a dark forest walk-through, a pitch-black walk-through, and a zombie maze. That’s right, you actually run from zombies. Reaper’s Revenge is open on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays through Nov. 1.

3. Maiolatesi Wine Cellars
Located at 210 Green Grove Road, 
Justus Pa
(approx. 15 min from campus)
Not far from Reaper’s Revenge is a hidden jewel called Maiolatesi Wine Cellars. Nestled in the pretty countryside of Scott Twp, this winery is the perfect place to relax and unwind. Stop in for a wine tasting with friends or enjoy wood-fired gourmet pizza on a Friday. You will instantly feel sophisticated as soon as you sip that first taste of wine. Remember: pinky out! Note: You must be 21 or older.

4. Co-op Farmer’s Market
Located at 900 Barring Ave., 
Scranton Pa
(approx. 9 min from campus)
Bring the farm to the table. Scranton has a huge farmer’s market that features homegrown, handpicked, natural foods. Browse fresh vegetables, fruit, jams and jellies, flowers, and more. Not only will you be shopping local, you’ll also do your body a favor by choosing real, raw food. Visit the farmer’s market every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. through Nov. 26.

5. Seven Tubs Nature Area
Located at Bear Creek Boulevard,
Wilkes-Barre Pa
(approx. 27 min from campus)
This one may be the most difficult to find, but hey, it’s free. This beautiful natural work of art consists of potholes overflowing with water, thus creating “tubs.” Whether you’re a beginner or a veteran hiker, Seven Tubs is suitable for all levels of skill. Just be sure to wear proper shoes and clothing, pack snacks and water, and bring company.

These are just a few honorable mentions of the amazing places NEPA has to offer during the fall. Get out there and take in the view. Those trees will be bare before we know it.

Contact the writer: [email protected]