Bundle up and beat boredom with these NEPA winter attractions

McKensie Curnow, A&E Editor

With the unusually mild weather we’ve been having, it’s hard to believe that winter has hit Northeastern Pennsylvania.

Remember when we used to make the dreaded trek to our cars every morning to warm up the car? Remember when classes would be canceled due to icy road conditions? Remember snow?

Many locals are thrilled with our sunny and nearly snowless season; others are not so thrilled, being that some of their favorite activities’ existence relies on snow and ice.

Whether you’re a self-proclaimed snow bunny or you avoid cold air like the plague, there are plenty of activities and attractions nearby to cure your winter blues.

Some like it hot …
1. Spirited Art
Located at 253 Scranton Carbondale Highway,
Dickson City PA
(approx. 13 min from campus)

Looking to get your creative juices flowing? Spirited Art is the place to be! Spirited Art provides you with everything you need to create your very own masterpiece – a smock, paint, canvas, brushes, and instruction from an artist. You’re even welcome to bring your own snacks and drinks. Spirited Art is open Wednesday through Sunday from 5:30-9:00 PM. Find out more by clicking here.

2. Steamtown Hot Yoga
Located at 121 N Washington Ave
Scranton PA
(approx. 10 min from campus)

For those who really enjoy warm temperatures, Steamtown Hot Yoga is nearby to help you sweat and de-stress. There are classes available for all skill levels, whether you’re a beginner or full-blown yogi. You can find their class schedule and more by clicking here. Namaste.

3. Sky Zone
Located at 525 Keystone Ave

Pittston PA

(approx. 23 min from campus)

Do you dread going to the gym? Working out is fun at Sky Zone, NEPA’s first and only indoor trampoline park! Jump your way to warmth – and a hot bod. Tip: Every Thursday is College Night.
Bring in your college ID or active military ID and get a 60 minute jump pass for $10. Click here for more information.

And of course, if staying indoors is your thing, NEPA has plenty of cozy restaurants, coffee shops and cafes to choose from. Check out some of our favorites in The Wood Word’s monthly column, BrigEats. Find ithere.

Some like it cold.
4. Montage Mountain
Located at 1000 Montage Mountain Road

Scranton PA

(approx. 19 min from campus)

Prefer the great outdoors? Skiers and snowboarders rejoice. Montage Mountain Resort has 26 trails ranging from beginner to expert. If balance isn’t one of your strongest assets, there are 16 trails for snow tubing! Plus, show your college ID on Wednesdays and get an extended lift ticket and a complimentary equipment rental for only $25! Click here for more information.

5. Revolution Ice Centre
Located at 12 Old Boston Road
Pittston, PA
(approx. 24 min from campus)

Revolution Ice Centre provides NEPA with an indoor ice skating rink. Skate freely, take lessons, or play some hockey – it’s safer than attempting to skate on the partially frozen pond behind your friend’s house. Admission for public skating is $7. To find the public skate and open hockey schedules, click here.

6. Crystal Cabin Fever

Located at 311 Purdytown Turnpike

Lakeville PA

(approx. 35 minutes from campus)

Last, but certainly not least, is Crystal Cabin Fever. Though the farthest in distance, it is certainly worth the trek. Crystal Cabin Fever is museum that displays huge and highly detailed ice sculptures. You can even ride down a 50 ft slide of ice! Also included is a BBQ and fire pit, free hot chocolate and free wine tastings. It is open Feb. 5 through Feb. 28. Hours are Thursday through Monday from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Admission is $15 for adults and $10 for children. Click here to find out more.

Contact the writer:

[email protected]
Twitter: KensCurnow_TWW