Dr. Levine to step down as VP of Academic Affairs

Brigid Edmunds, News Editor

More changes are coming to the top level of administration.

Dr. Alan Levine, vice president of academic affairs, will be returning to a faculty position in the Nutrition department beginning in the fall semester.

According to Levine, he made the decision in early January after speaking with Sr. Anne Munley, I.H.M., Ph.D., president of the university.

“I have been thinking about what I wanted to do with my professional future for a while,” he said.

Levine will be returning to the Nutrition and Dietetics Department effective July 1. Meanwhile, the university will begin searches for a new provost, a new position that will replace the position of vice president of Academic Affairs.

A search for a new president is already underway, as Sr. Anne announced Jan. 4 that she will retire on June 30.

According to Levine, if the university does not have a provost in place by July 1, an interim vice president of academic affairs will be appointed by either Sr. Anne or the new president of the university.

As a faculty member, Levine will be teaching mostly graduate and doctoral level courses.

“I look forward to teaching in the fall,” he said. “I feel pretty good about it.”

Dr. Lee Harrison, chair of the Nutrition and Dietetics Department, said the department is looking forward to having Dr. Levine back in the program.

Harrison said she has worked with Dr. Levine before and was actually the one who hired him when he first started at Marywood.

“[It’s] great to have him back,” Harrison said.

While Dr. Levine said the move is bittersweet, he added, “It’s more sweet than bitter.”