Marywood prepares to story slam

Paul Capoccia, Community Editor

Get ready to rumble! At the Marywood StorySlam, that is.

Marywood University is holding the first college StorySlam in Northeastern Pennsylvania in November.

A StorySlam is a storytelling competition where the storytellers, or slammers, have five minutes to tell a story based on the theme for the audience and judges. The story has to be told with no notes and must be a true story. The theme for Marywood’s StorySlam is “Road Trips.”

Dr. Laurie McMillan, associate professor and chair of the English department is one of the judges for the upcoming StorySlam.

“The StorySlam is a great opportunity for the people who participate and actually tell their stories,” said McMillan. “But also it’s wonderful for the people who get to hear the stories so it’s a great community building opportunity.”

The StorySlam is hosted by the Student Activities Crew (SAC) and the Marywood library, with assistance provided by the Scranton Storyslam group. Five students and two faculty members will be slamming before a panel of Marywood judges.

Melissa Williams, senior biotechnology major, said she is excited for the StorySlam and the variety of stories.

“Some stories will be funny, others may be a little more serious,” said Williams, a SAC intern helping to coordinate the event. “But overall it will be nice to hear the different experiences of the students and also to see the talent they have to offer.”

The StorySlam will be held Wednesday, Nov. 12 at 9 p.m. in the Fireplace Lounge of the Nazareth Student Center.