Marywood hires Noah Beck as new swimming and diving head coach

John Ferraro, Sports Editor

Marywood University named Noah Beck the new men’s and women’s swimming and diving head coach as well as the aquatics director.

According to marywoodpacers.com, Dr. Mary Jo Gunning, director of athletics and recreation, made the announcement, referring to Beck as “the most qualified candidate” for the position.

Beck brings with him experience both in and out of the pool. He swam for the University of Connecticut in all four of his collegiate years.

The newly-hired coach just completed his second season as both the assistant coach of the swimming and diving programs and aquatics director at SUNY-Geneseo.

With the guidance of Beck and Knights’ head coach Paul Dotterweich, both the men’s and women’s team claimed championships in both years of Beck’s tenure.

Now, Beck is officially a Pacer, and he said he is looking forward to the new opportunity.

“I was excited when I got the offer. It was a place where — when I found out about the opportunity — I was really excited about it. I did everything I could to put myself in the right position to get it,” said Beck.

Beck described why he chose Marywood as the school where he wanted to coach. “From the swim team level to the university level, I think Marywood is a great school.”

He spoke specifically about the academic excellence Marywood has to offer potential recruits.

“[Marywood] has a lot of really neat opportunities being a small liberal arts college. But, they also have other really neat professional programs. When you are going out to recruit, it’s great to have that diversity in your academic offering,” Beck said.

Beck also said Marywood’s Aquatic Center is one of the reasons he came on board.

“Obviously having a fairly new facility with an eight-lane pool is a great training space. I’m excited to make use of that,” said Beck.

For Beck to start implementing his culture at Marywood, he said he hopes to recruit prospects that are more than just athletes.

“I don’t want somebody who just is here to swim. I want somebody who takes their academics seriously. I want people to come in and take advantage of all that being a student-athlete has to offer,” Beck said. “It’s not only working hard as a student and getting better as an athlete, it’s also about engaging in your community and figuring out where you fit in in that regard.”

According to marywoodpacers.com, Beck is replacing interim head coach and Aquatics Director Katherine Weaver after she left over the summer.

Both the men’s and women’s team finished fourth at the Landmark Championship last season. Beck said he hopes to finish higher and bring a championship to Marywood in the future.

Twitter: @JohnFerraro21