SPORTS BRIEF: Marywood basketball splits doubleheader

Photo courtesy of Marywood Athletics. Caption: Junior guard Catie Nealon attempts a jump shot over Lebanon Valley’s Jasmine Copeland.

John Ferraro, Sports Editor

Marywood University’s basketball program split the night in the final doubleheader of 2016. The women’s team battled Lebanon Valley while the men continued to look for their first win, this time against Muhlenberg College.

Marywood University: 54 Lebanon Valley: 46
In the first game, the women’s team looked to get back to a .500 record. It did just that by beating Lebanon Valley for the first time in program history.

Head Coach Tara Macciocco’s squad came out of the gate strong with 11 straight points, some generated by early Dutchmen turnovers.

Lebanon Valley would cut it to a three-point deficit before the Pacers took control to take an 18-11 lead into the second quarter.

Marywood fought off the Dutchmen’s second quarter push to hold a two-point lead going into half, according to marywoodpacers.com.

Marywood won the third quarter 14-9, which was the difference in the game. The Pacers were led by junior guard Catie Nealon, freshman guard Erika Thomas, and sophomore center Natasha Hessling.

Nealon contributed 14 points. Thomas dropped 12 points, tying her season high, along with seven rebounds. Hessling was also in double digits with 11 points and eight rebounds.
Marywood travels to Misericordia University on Dec. 30 for their next game.

Muhlenberg College: 70 Marywood University: 59

The men’s team looked for its first win of the season against non-conference opponent Muhlenberg. The Mules kicked back and denied the Pacers with a second half run.

Marywood had a 37-32 lead at half. Both teams were consistent from the field, shooting 53 percent. The Pacers were five for 11 from downtown while the Mules were just two of 10.

Muhlenberg came out red hot in the second half, going on a 12-2 run. Marywood then rallied to tie the game at 50 before a 16-2 Mules run put the game out of reach.

Senior guard Dexter Shy had a team-high 18 points on eight of 15 shooting. Sophomore guard Tip Swartz scored 14.

For Muhlenberg, Brandon LaRose shot 90 percent from the field for 20 points. Center Erik Werheim contributed a double-double with 11 points and 12 rebounds.

The Mules out-rebounded the Pacers 38 to 24 and made eight more free throws than the Pacers. Marywood travels to face Division I Binghamton University on Dec. 30.

Twitter: @JohnFerraro21