SAC holds Fire and Ice Fest as semester kickoff

Photo credit/ Bethany Wade

Tim Ellis juggles fire batons while balancing fellow performer Michael Mucciolo on his legs.

Rachael Eyler, Multimedia Editor

The 2017 spring semester started with a bang as the Student Activities Crew (SAC) held the Fire and Ice Fest on Thursday, Jan. 19.

The Fire and Ice Fest featured a live ice carving demonstration, a fire throwing show and warm treats to enjoy while gathering around a bonfire with friends.

Photo credit/ Bethany Wade
Photo credit/ Bethany Wade
Evan Hughes, an ice sculpture artist, cuts the finishing touches into a Marywood ice throne.

The event was inspired by the previous SAC event, Marywood Madness, said Director of Student Activities Kim Coleman.

“It works as the start of the semester because it is like a recap from Marywood Madness,” said Coleman. “Since we weren’t able to have the live fire show then [at Marywood Madness], it is like a make-up for it.”

Photo credit/ Bethany Wade
Fire performer Ricky Hawkins tosses fire batons back and forth with Tim Ellis as he balances Michael Mucciolo on his shoulders.

SAC Shadow and Junior Accounting Major Brandon Sodani explained how the semester kickoff brought the Marywood community together.

“It’s a chance to meet new people, catch up with friends and see how their first few days back are going,” said Sodani.

As some students face their final semester at Marywood, Christina Sauer, a higher education and administration graduate student, discussed how the Fire and Ice Fest was a great way to begin her last semester.

“In all my time here [at Marywood] they never did a formal kick off,” said Sauer. “It was nice being around the fire with my friends for my last semester.”

Anastasia Guerra, a freshman psychology major, explained how the event helped ease her into the new semester.

“It’s like the calm before the storm,” said Guerra. “It is a fun and relaxing event with friends before you get loaded with work.”

Photo credit/ Bethany Wade
Alyssa Zagoreos, a junior music therapy major, and Ariel Kimes, a junior pre-PA major, warm up by the fire and roast marshmallows.