The news site of Marywood University

Giving Day event surpasses donor goal

Melissa Przewlocki, graduate assistant for The Office of University Advancement and graduate student in higher education and administration, assists with the Giving Day table in the Learning Commons.

Photo credit/ Paul Capoccia

Photo credit/ Paul Capoccia

Paul Capoccia, Community Editor

Giving Day was a success.

The Office of University Advancement hosted a 24-hour Giving Day event on Thursday, March 30 that surpassed its goal of 330 donors with 588 by the end of the day.

According to Christina Mace, senior director of development, there were 588 individual donors who contributed 630 gifts worth $82,763.83. Part of these donations was an anonymous $1000 challenge grant if Giving Day reached 500 donors.

In an email to students from Marywood President Sr. Mary Persico, IHM, Ed. D, colleges and universities across the country have adopted special events like Giving Day, and Marywood’s Office of University Advancement wanted to hold this day to increase donations and involvement.

Melissa Przewlocki, a graduate student in higher education and administration and the graduate assistant for The Office of University Advancement, said that donating as a senior gift or as a current student sets good habits to be an active alumnus.

“Senior giving is important because it helps you to learn how to give back and it helps you recognize that other students who will still be here are in need of your support,” said Przewlocki.

Rose Jacklinski, assistant director of annual giving programs, offered her perspective on gift giving back to the University.

“Giving Day is a day to really think about all the gifts given to us and how we can give back in return,” said Jacklinski.

The Office of University Advancement placed an emphasis on the importance of everyone helping to give back together.

“Every gift counts, all are appreciated, and it comes from the heart. It’s like a birthday present or Christmas present… it means something,” said Jacklinski.

On Friday morning following the event, Persico wrote a letter to students on campus thanking them for their donations and thanking The Office of University Advancement.

“When everyone works together, great things happen … [to] anyone at all who contributed to the success of this day – my sincere thanks and congratulations. You made it happen!” said Persico.

The Office of University Advancement is continuing to receive gifts as a result of the initiative.

Twitter: @PaulCapocciaTWW

• Giving Day event surpasses donor goal

Arts & Entertainment

“Doctor Who” casts first female Doctor

• Giving Day event surpasses donor goal

NEWS BRIEF: New Board of Trustees members elected

• Giving Day event surpasses donor goal

Two administrators, one director resign positions

• Giving Day event surpasses donor goal

NLRB denies faculty right to vote on union in final order

• Giving Day event surpasses donor goal

Ten professors not returning next year

• Giving Day event surpasses donor goal

New college structure takes effect

• Giving Day event surpasses donor goal

Six academic departments combine to form three

• Giving Day event surpasses donor goal

Sports

NHL holds first expansion draft in 17 years

• Giving Day event surpasses donor goal

Sports

Analysis: Three key takeaways from the Pens’ Stanley Cup victory

• Giving Day event surpasses donor goal

Marywood opens new fraternity chapter