Classes cancelled on campus to accommodate Cpl. Dickson’s viewing

Photo credit/ Autumn Granza

State Troopers remained on patrol during the viewing.

Brigid Edmunds, Multimedia Editor

Classes were cancelled all day Wednesday, Sept. 17, and Thursday morning, Sept. 18, in response to the Pennsylvania State Police and the Diocese of Scranton’s request that the Rotunda serve as the location for Cpl. Bryon Dickson’s public viewing.

Cpl. Dickson was killed late Friday night on Sept. 12 when he and Cpl. Alex T. Douglass were ambushed outside of the Blooming Grove state police barracks in Pike County. The suspect, Eric Frein, has just been added to the FBI’s top 10 Most Wanted list.

Sr. Anne Munley, I.H.M., Ph.D., president of the University, sent a detailed campus-wide memo about the cancellation that included information about parking lots restrictions, as well as information about the offices and buildings that would close or remain open.

In addition, e2 Campus Alerts kept students updated on meeting cancellations as well as updates about Morgan Road remaining closed Thursday morning until 10 a.m. Classes resumed Thursday morning at 11:30 a.m.

Juneann Greco, public relations director, said that the decision to cancel classes was made “to cooperate with the State Police in every way possible to guarantee that this event is accorded all of the respect and dignity that it deserves.”

“After consulting with the Pennsylvania State Police, the administration of Marywood is confident that all necessary resources are in place to ensure the safety of our students and staff,” Greco said.

Approximately 4,000 people from the community attended the viewing.