Marywood’s Aphasia Group wins award

Satara Dickey, News Editor

Marywood University’s Aphasia Group was awarded the 2014 Raising Awareness in Stroke Excellence (RAISE) Award for Outstanding Support Group by the National Stroke Association.

According to stroke.org, the Outstanding Support Group Award honors a stroke support group for making an innovative and robust impact on the lives of stroke survivors, caregivers, and others impacted by stroke through connection, empowerment, and education. Marywood’s Aphasia Group was selected out of 462 national submissions.

“This national award is well deserved,” said Marla Kovach, supervisor of the Aphasia group. “I am so proud of our members/caregivers, our students, and our CSD Department for making this support group possible and successful in raising awareness.”

Marywood’s Aphasia group is a free community service support group comprised of various people at any stage of their stroke recovery.

“It is so gratifying to experience how the individual and family affected by aphasia progresses through their journey in rehabilitation, as well as the CSD graduate student who fosters their clinical skills in treating per skill level of the client, since aphasia affects each person/family so differently,” concluded Kovach.

Contact the writer at [email protected].