The Wood Word

Reflections on Haiti

April 14, 2010

By Amy Fotta Assistant Director of Campus Ministry I have seen more devastation in Haiti than my mind or heart can even begin to comprehend.  Coupled with that, I have witnessed immense solidarity with the Haitian people  - outpourings of generosity, from medical...

Immigration Myths

April 1, 2010

Myth: Immigrants take American jobs Truth: Corporations relocating in pursuit of cheap, vulnerable workers are the real job stealers. States with high immigrant populations have lower unemployment rates. Myth: Immigrants ar...

Reflections on the US/Mexico Border Trip

April 1, 2010

By Karla Dalious Staff Writer Turn on any television recently and images of a crime-filled Mexico will doubtlessly fill the screen.  It’s a terrible place, they tell us, torn apart by drug trafficking and violence.  At least that’s what some of us heard when spreading the news that we would be ...

Perspectives on the Middle East from Taşpinar and Aslan

April 1, 2010

By Nick Murley Staff Writer How is Barack Obama doing in his first term of presidency? What does the Middle East think of Obama’s policies on the Middle East? Omer Taşpinar, Ph.D. of the Brookings Institute, and Ali H. Aslan,...

Genocide in Africa: When Will it Stop?

April 1, 2010

By Victoria Clarizio Staff Writer On Sunday, March 7 more than 200 Christians were killed in the country of Nigeria as part of ongoing religious violence between Muslims and Christians.  Traditionally Muslims have resided in...

Forgiven and Free

April 1, 2010

Colleen Dunn Staff Writer “I am sorry”… “I forgive you.” This is the most powerful conversation that we can have with one another. If those six words are spoken from the heart and are real, they can go a very long way....

A Personal Experience in Chile

April 1, 2010

By Katie Fox Staff Writer In July 2008, I traveled to Santiago, Chile to begin training as a volunteer English as a Foreign Language instructor.  The training, in-country placement, and host family accommodations, were coordinated...