Flea market raises money for service trips

Patrick Kernan, Correspondent

Campus Ministry hosted its bi-annual flea market on March 21 to raise funds to send students on service trips.

The flea market, held in the Latour Room in Nazareth Hall, helped to raise money to send students who are involved in Campus Ministry on trips like Alternative Spring Break, which are voluntary community service trips to various locations.

“It’s by no means the only fundraiser we hold,” said Sr. John Michele Southwick, assistant director of Campus Ministry and professor of religious studies who is involved in organizing the flea market. “But it certainly does a good enough job for us to keep doing it every year.”

Over the years, the flea market has grown to be a popular event on campus and in the surrounding community.

The flea market typically raises as much as $2,000.

“Then that money is divided up between the students that worked at the flea market, based on how long they worked,” Sr. John Michele explained. “Sometimes the students can make as much as $10 an hour. This money then goes toward their individual trips.”

The flea market relies on items donated by individuals, and there has been a wide variety of items donated so far. The biannual event has become well-known in the Scranton community, which helps to ensure donations for every event.

“We used to advertise extensively,” Sr. John Michele said, “but these days people expect the event,and they just keep bringing stuff.”

The lack of advertisement still may be an issue for the flea market, however, as some students were totally unaware that the flea market was even taking place.

Nicholas Grevera, a theater major, said that he had absolutely no idea about the flea market.

“It seems like they should have advertised more,” Grevera said. “That way more students would be able to go.”

Despite this, the flea market will still be beneficial to campus ministry students looking to go on service trips.

Jamie Lynn Little, an early childhood and special education major who is involved in campus ministry, said she is excited by the opportunity to raise funds.

“I am working [the flea market] to raise money for my service trip to Guatemala,” Little said. “My total trip cost is $800.”

All the leftover items from the flea market will be donated to the Salvation Army.