Philharmonic to begin 43rd season

Photo credit/ Photo Courtesy of NEPA Philharmonic

Lawrence Loh celebrates his 10th year with the Philharmonic as the new season opened with an Evening of Tchaikovsky Sept. 19.

Paul Capoccia, Community Editor

The Northeastern Pennsylvania Philharmonic will open its 43rd season of music on Friday, Sept. 19 at the F.M. Kirby Center in Wilkes-Barre. This season marks Maestro Lawrence Loh’s 10th year as part of the NEPA Philharmonic.

The NEPA Philharmonic is a professional symphony orchestra and is one of the best regional orchestras in the nation. The orchestra performs primarily at the F.M. Kirby Center in Wilkes-Barre, The Scranton Cultural Center, and The Theater at Lackawanna College.

“The NEPA Philharmonic is the cultural cornerstone of the greater-Scranton region,” said Andrea Fritchey, a Marywood University alumnus. “The Philharmonic presents high quality classical and pops-style programming of the highest caliber.”

This season’s schedule begins with “An Evening of Tchaikovsky,” featuring award-winning pianist Jon Nakamatsu. Other performances such as “Cinematic Love Stories,” “A Trip Down the Danube,” and “The Texas Tenors Return,” starring “America’s Got Talent” stars the Texas Tenors, are slated for this year’s events.

Harry Orzella, a patron services associate for the Philharmonic, said he is excited for another year of wonderful classical music.

“Once you really appreciate this music, it’s beautiful and it’s satisfying,” said Orzella of attending classical events. “You [get] an appreciation of the complexity and beauty of classical music.”

“College is the time to try anything and everything, to have as many experiences as possible, while there is still time to be young and open to anything,” said Fritchey of students weary of attending a classical music performance.

All information regarding the Northeastern Pennsylvania Philharmonic can be found on their website, www. nepaphil.org. Student tickets are sold for all shows for $20 per ticket.