Group Spotlight: The Marywood Players

Photo credit/ Katlynn Whitaker

Autumn Granza, Editor-in-Chief

On Saturday, April 18, The Marywood Players, Marywood’s student-run theatre club, assisted in the production of “The Invisible Dragon” by Patricia Clapp for this year’s Children’s Theatre Production.

The Children’s Theatre show is an annual event where the theatre department welcomes local elementary schools to watch a production. The play chosen consists of life lessons and is geared toward a younger audience.

Members of The Marywood Players dedicated their time and talents to the success of this year’s show. According to Nick Grevera, a junior theatre major and president of The Marywood Players, most of the students in The Marywood Players are theatre majors.

The Marywood Players help with every production the theatre department hosts. Members can help by being cast members, assisting in technical aspects of shows, helping with production, or simply ushering.

Aside from assisting with the theatre department’s productions, The Marywood Players host their own showcase each spring semester. This semester’s showcase, The Game of Life: A Broadway musical revue, was held on March 20 in the Black Box Theatre in the Sette LaVerghetta Center for Creative and Performing Arts.

“The group is doing great this year,” said Rebecca Darling, a sophomore musical theatre major and The Marywood Players’ vice president. “We’ve had a few ups and downs but we got stronger as a group.”

In the spring of 2014 The Marywood Players held a Twisted Theatre performance as their spring showcase. Twisted Theatre is a performance where gender roles are reversed–women play men and men play women. The Marywood Players decided to make Twisted Theatre a bi-annual performance.

“The theatre department gives us a time slot [for the showcase],” said Grevera. “We have three weeks to prep, sculpt, and perform.”

However, it’s not all about performing for The Marywood Players. Club members fund raise, go on trips to New York City, and attend the Kennedy Center American College Theater Festival (KCACTF), a program for college students nationwide.

“KCACTF allows different colleges to present what they’ve been working on. There are work shops and keynote speakers,” said Grevera. “It’s nice to go see what other schools are doing.”

The Marywood Players’ goal is to keep culture alive at Marywood.

“We really focus on culture and we try to put on good shows,” said Grevera. “Marywood is a culture-based campus and started off with music and theatre so, we are trying to keep that going.”

As of now, The Marywood Players have about 15 active members.

“It’s a fun club with people that share the same ideas that you have and are just as crazy as you are,” said Grevera.

The Marywood Players is open to all students. For more information visit The Marywood Player’s Facebook or email Nick Grevera at [email protected].

Contact the writer: [email protected]