PRSSA hosts “Pinning for a Purpose” in Learning Commons

Photo credit/ McKensie Curnow

Members of PRSSA made hats out of old sweaters to donate to Friends of the Poor.

Kat Bischak, Assistant A&E Editor

Marywood University’s Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA) Chapter hosted “Pinning for a Purpose” on Wednesday, March 23 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the Learning Commons. At the event, students could make beanies out of old sweaters to donate to Friends of the Poor.

Students were asked to bring 2 sweaters if they wanted to participate, allowing them to make 1 beanie to keep and 1 to donate to those in need.

Kristen Pietryka, junior advertising and public relations major and treasurer of PRSSA, explained that the event started from an idea seen on Pinterest and became a reality when the club needed to complete a service project.

“Since Marywood has very close ties with Friends of the Poor, we decided to donate them there,” explained Pietryka, while being surrounded by a stack of colorful sweaters.

Sophie Pauline, senior advertising and public relations major and member of PRSSA, told The Wood Word that she hopes the event will get more people to get to know about PRSSA and allow them to help out other clubs and organizations around campus.

PRSSA is planning on doing a similar event like this in the future with Griffin Pond Animal Shelter. They will be accepting pet food and supplies donations. The students will also have a chance to walk dogs and relax from schoolwork.

“It’s always nice to give a little love here and there and make your day better,” Pauline said with a bright smile.

For more information on Marywood University’s PRSSA Chapter, visit their Facebook page or the official PRSSA website.