Chamber Singers named semi-finalists in national competition

The Marywood Chamber Singers performed a holiday concert in the Marian Chapel on Dec. 4. Photo courtesy of Rick Hoffenberg

Anne Zukowski, Web Editor

The American Prize, a nationwide performing arts competition, announced on Nov. 21 that Marywood’s Chamber Singers placed as semi-finalists in Choral Music.

The Chamber Singers are competing against 19 other student choir groups, including those of Hofstra University, Rutgers University and Mansfield University.

Rick Hoffenberg, the choir’s conductor and Music, Theatre and Dance co-chair, said he is happy to have a spot in this competition.

“As a liberal arts university, to compete against music schools is really an honor,” said Hoffenberg.

The Chamber Singers entered their CD dedicated for Marywood University’s Centennial celebration, titled, “Ave Maria: A Celebration of Marywood University’s First 100 Years.”

The last time the Chamber Singers submitted a CD to this competition was in 2012. That year, they were one of eight national finalists in the Choral Music category.

Hoffenberg said that the most recent CD showcases a variety of compositions from the Renaissance to the past decade.

“We wanted to record a full CD with challenging pieces,” said Hoffenberg.
According to Marywood’s website, the Chamber Singers will receive written evaluations from judges, which will be featured on The American Prize website.

In addition to written evaluations, winners and runners-up are profiled on The American Prize website.

Results will be announced in several weeks, with the top three finalists receiving recognition and cash awards, according to The American Prize website