NEWS BRIEF: University structure reduced from five to three colleges

The+number+of+colleges+that+make+up+Marywood+has+been+reduced+to+three.+

Photo credit/ Bethany Wade

The number of colleges that make up Marywood has been reduced to three.

Rachel Looker, Editor-in-Chief

According to a memo from Marywood President Sr. Mary Persico, IHM, Ed. D, Marywood will consist of the College of Health and Human Services, the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and the College of Professional Studies starting on July 1. The School of Architecture will fall under the College of Professional Studies.

The restructuring is a result of Marywood completing the Strategic Resource Allocation (SRA) process last semester.

Persico said in the memo the purpose of the restructuring is to strengthen Marywood’s “academic processes and alignments” and has the potential to save the university $450,000.

The College of Health and Human Services will consist of the Athletic Training, Exercise Science and Nutrition, Communication Sciences and Disorders, Counseling and Psychology, Nursing and Physician Assistant programs, as well as the School of Social Work.

Art, Communication Arts, Computer Science, Math and Science, English and Foreign Languages, Liberal Studies, Music, Theatre, Dance, Philosophy, Religious Studies and all Social Sciences will fall under the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.

The School of Architecture, School of Business and Global Initiatives and the Human Development programs will now be included in the College of Professional Studies.

The (School of) Education is also listed under the College of Professional Studies. According to Provost Dr. Susan Turell, the university is considering transitioning the education department to a school, even though it is currently considered a department.

According to the memo, the official names of the new colleges will be determined after meeting with the Board of Trustees, donors and others involved in the naming process.

Persico said in the memo that Provost Dr. Susan Turell will use faculty input to determine which of the deans will lead each college.

Twitter: @RLookerTWW