BREAKING NEWS: Classes to be instructed online for the remainder of semester, commencement postponed

Photo credit/ Connor Moffitt

Justin Kucharski, Editor-in-Chief

Editor’s Note: This story has been updated as of 2:15 p.m.

All classes now will be instructed online for the remainder of the semester, according to an email sent to students, faculty and staff by Marywood University officials. The decision comes on the heels of Pennsylvania Governor Tom Wolf’s order to close all non-life-sustaining businesses.

Governor Wolf ordered yesterday evening that all businesses must close by 8 p.m. If they failed to comply, they could face fines, the loss of their business license, jail time and loss of the ability to file for disaster aid. Wolf said the order would begin to be enforced at 12:01 a.m. on Saturday, March 21.

This news comes three days after Marywood closed campus in order to limit access to buildings. Classes were originally scheduled to resume April 14.

Students are not allowed to return to campus and residential students are not permitted access to any campus residences until further notice according to a memo released by Marywood. Students will receive information as to when they can retrieve their personal belongings in the coming weeks.

The memo also stated that commencement has been postponed to August with a date yet to be announced.

Although Marywood’s buildings and facilities are closed until March 30, the Counseling and Student Development Center and Student Health Services Center will remain open for students to utilize. The few students who are still living on campus due to extenuating circumstances are still allowed to remain on campus.

Twitter: @JKucharskiTWW