Track and field gearing up for upcoming season

Photo credit/ Kelsey Van Horn

Anne Zukowski, Assistant Web Editor

This upcoming spring, men’s and women’s outdoor track and field will be varsity level for the first time. The most asked question is: where will the athletes practice?

Coach Scott Hutchinson said that practices will still be held in Marywood’s indoor track, as they were last year, since there is not an outdoor track. Some practices will be held at Mid Valley Secondary Center’s track.

So far the track and field team has 40 women and 20 men committed to the teams, in addition to 34 undecided recruits, according to Hutchinson.

Hutchinson is excited to start the season. He would like the team to place well in the Colonial States Athletic Conference (CSAC) meets, and to have at least one or two talented athletes head to nationals.

“This year at the CSAC, [we want to] make noise at the conference meets, and put our program on the map,” said Hutchinson.

A Disney trip is being planned for next March, where the team will compete against Division I and II squads in addition to other Division III athletes.

Hutchinson said traveling to Disney will be a great opportunity for the new program, and an escape to warmer weather.

Peter Inirio, a junior pre-physician assistant major, will be joining the track and field team this upcoming spring. He said he is prepared and in shape for the season. He is considering running the 100-meter and 200-meter events.

“Although we don’t have an outdoor track, it would be great to show up at meets and conferences and show everyone how great we are, plus win. It’d be great for our school’s reputation,” said Inirio.

Despite the lack of practice facilities for the team the outdoor track and field program will be off to a jump start once the spring semester gets started.

If interested in joining the men’s and women’s outdoor track and field team contact Scott Hutchinson at [email protected].