Author talk closes out Marywood Creativity Month

Dawn Leas, Rachael Hughes and Amye Archer speak at the author talk. Photo credit: Margaret Scott

Margaret Scott

Three contributors from the book “My Body, My Words” shared stories about body image and body positivity at an author talk held on March 29 in the Learning Commons.

Amye Archer, Dawn Leas and Rachael Hughes all contributed pieces to the book which is a collection of stories and poems. The book features pieces from 70 writers who come from various backgrounds, genders and ages who focus on body image and body positivity in their writing.

Amye Archer, contributor and co-editor of the book, said inclusion was an important aspect to compiling the pieces.

Authortalk2.jpg

Amye Archer, contributor and co-editor of 'My Body, My Words' reads a piece from the book. Photo credit: Margaret Scott

“When we did the book, we included men, we included transgender [individuals] and we included everybody who had something to say about their bodies in this book,” said Archer.

The night consisted of each author reading a piece they wrote and giving a brief background about the story to the audience.

After each piece was read, all three authors sat together and held a question and answer session where the audience and the authors asked each other questions about their pieces.

Michelle Richar, a second-year graduate student in secondary English education, asked questions that focused on the authors’ early writing careers.

“I was really looking for how they got started and it kind of gave me some inspiration that I can do it and I can get there some day, too,” she said. “Seeing them being successful and hearing how they started is a big thing.”

The author talk closed out Creativity Month, which was a month-long celebration of creativity on campus. Other events included the performance of “Sunday in the Park with George” by the music, theater and dance department, the Bayleaf Live and Bayleaf Open, the “Tres Vidas” Performance and various gallery openings.

Twitter: @MargscottTWW

About the Writer
Margaret Scott, Assistant Arts & Entertainment Editor

Margaret Scott is a junior, Advertising/Public Relations major at Marywood University. This year she serves as assistant Arts and Entertainment editor...

• Author talk closes out Marywood Creativity Month

Men's Soccer

Men’s soccer is looking to finish the season strong

Variance request vote for Marywood South tabled for 30 days

Featured Multimedia

Sports Talk S. 2 Episode 3: NFL season and MLB Playoffs update

Sports

ANALYSIS: Women’s soccer is confident moving into a new conference

Arts & Entertainment

Popcorn Picks Review: ‘Venom’

NEWS BRIEF: Steam system repair to occur during fall break

Community

SALD to host second annual CONQUER Student Leadership Conference

Opinion

OPINION: ‘A Million Little Things’ is the emotional rollercoaster we deserve

Sports

PACERS SPORTS REPORT: Field hockey continues hot start; volleyball closes out non-conference play on five match winning streak

Opinion

OPINION: ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’ is the nation’s wake up call and we keep snoozing