New exhibitions display varied art styles and techniques

The annual Marywood Print Guild Exhibition features the works of people from all walks of life. Photo credit: Megan Reynolds

Megan Reynolds, Arts & Entertainment Editor

The Marywood Art department recently welcomed three new galleries to campus.

On Saturday Oct. 5, the Shields Center for Visual Arts hosted the openings of “Watercolor and Wonder: Shrines” by Mary Billingsley, “Scrolls” by the late Ana Maria Carmona Cusic and the annual Marywood Print Guild exhibition.

The Mahady Gallery is displaying “Watercolor and Wonder: Shrines.” Each piece in this exhibition is a biblical scene based on a small scene Billingsliey set up with dolls and dead plants.

“[Painting] is so much fun that it’s my own little world, and I don’t let anyone step into it until I’m finished,” Billingsley said.

IMG_7396.JPG
“Watercolor and Wonder: Shrines” by Mary Billingsliey features biblical scenes set up with dolls and dead plants. Photo credit: Megan Reynolds

Upstairs in the Suraci Gallery is “Scrolls” by the late Ana Maria Carmona Cusic. These scrolls are painted in the traditional Chinese style. All the pieces are on scrolls made of silk and painted with ink. All the pieces were donated to Marywood by her husband Daniel L. Cusick.

IMG_7398.JPG
“Scrolls” by the late Ana Maria Carmona Cusic features scrolls painted in the traditional Chinese style. Photo credit: Megan Reynolds

In the Kresage Room is the annual exhibition by the Marywood Print Guild. The Marywood Print Guild displayed many types of printing such as photography, screen printing, and wood carving. The guild features the works of members that come from all walks of life.

“We have current students, current faculty, students who have graduated and faculty who have retired or are no longer teaching here… we have this continuity of participants and we build up the history,” said Peter Hoffer, the director of the Print Guild.

Each member of the guild created a piece on an 8″ by 10″ piece of paper, other than the size there are no creative limits to their pieces.

All three galleries will will be on display in the Shields Center for Visual Arts until Nov. 2 and are open to the public Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturdays.