Multiple Perspectives: Students engage in ethics discussions with professionals

Amanda Duncklee, Community Editor

The School of Business and Global Innovation at Marywood hosted the conference titled “Business Ethics: Multiple Perspectives from Student to Professional.”

The 14th annual conference took place on Monday, March 21 from 9:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. Speakers and students filtered in and out of the Latour Room of the Nazareth Student Center throughout the day to offer and receive insight on how ethics is essential in business.

Topics covered included students’ perspective on ethics on topics such as: a business versus employees’ interests; Pennsylvania American Water; information technology; healthcare and ethics in finance and academic integrity.

Professional attire was required for students who attended. Students were required to sign in at a table manned by Net Impact, Marywood’s undergraduate business club, before entering the Latour Room.

Net Impact was responsible for coordinating the registration and sign-sheets as well as keeping records on who attends.

Once in the Latour Room, students and other attendees sat at tables facing a stage set up for presenters. A projection screen available for presenters’ use faced the audience.

Andrea O’Neill-Hoffman, a health services administration grad student, came to the conference last year and came again this year because she found the topics “more interesting.”

“I’m interested in the health care and ethics, but I’m also interested in the water and after what happened in Flint, of course, I’m very concerned,” said O’Neill-Hoffman.

Presenter Jimmy Sheridan of Pennsylvania American Water gave a presentation at noon titled “Ethics, Business and Society: What Happened in Flint Can’t Happen Here!” He discussed the importance of maintaining ethical standards in an industry that affects the general public.

“Each customer wants and expects the same think: clean water each and every time you turn on the faucet,” said Sheridan. “If we’re not compliant we can get notice of violations. It’s bad because we can get fined, but it’s worse because every glass of water should meet the same standard.”

Contact the writer:
[email protected]
@ADuncklee_TWW