Marywood students and faculty win big at AAF Awards

Christine Medley, faculty winner. Photo courtesy of John Meza.

Satara Dickey, Editor-in-Chief

Marywood students and Christine Medley, assistant professor of graphic design, recently won big at the local American Advertising Federation (AAF) of NEPA awards.

Laura Drapek, senior graphic design major, won a Silver AAF award.

“I was definitely shocked to find out I won an Addy award [AAF award],”said Drapek. “I am very honored to have won such a great award.”

Casey Nicholas Peckio, senior graphic design major, won a Gold Judges Choice award. He stated it wouldn’t have been possible without the strong work ethic, he developed from his parents and the guidance of his professors.

“It is so fulfilling to be awarded such a distinguished honor for something I’m so passionate about,” said David Bonomo, senior graphic design major and winner of the Gold Best of Show award.
The judging for the awards took place at Marywood in January.

According to Medley, there were approximately 175 entries, including 55 student entries.

“I’m very proud of the students,” said Medley. “It’s such a boost to them and their self confidence that their work is validated by professionals and then as faculty, we feel better because we helped so we must be doing something right. It’s mutually beneficial.”

Medley was the recipient of two AAF Awards. She won a Silver award at the professional level for a poster series and she was also awarded the Silver Medal award.

According to AAF.org, the Silver Medal award was established in 1959 to recognize men and women who have made outstanding contributions to advertising and have been active and furthering the industry’s standards, creative excellence and responsibility in the areas of social concern.

“The Silver Medal is a really big deal and at first I was thinking why me, I really don’t deserve it,” said Medley. “But I guess I really put my time in and helped out a lot of students so I can see it [why I was chosen].”

The 2015 AAF judges were Mike Guinta, from Pittsburgh, Ari Garber, Philadelphia, Nichole Smith, Leigh Valley, Sam Borowy, Baltimore and Jennifer Dodson, Maryland.

According to the AAF, all gold awards will be forwarded to Districts in New York, NY, and voting will take place in March.

Contact the writer: 
[email protected]
@SataraLynnTWW

David Bonomo, student winner;

Laura Drapek, student winner;

Casey Peckio, student winner.