“Mean Girls” is heading to Broadway

Photo Courtesy of the Means Girls on Broadway Facebook Page

Bethany Wade, Photography Editor

Get in, loser. “Mean Girls” is going to New York!

The musical based on the 2004 teen comedy will begin previews at the August Wilson Theatre on March 12 and formally open on April 8. Prior to its Broadway debut, the show premieres in Washington D.C. on Halloween and will run until Dec. 3.

Tina Fey, writer of the original film, wrote the book for the show. Nell Benjamin, who helped convert “Legally Blonde” to a musical, wrote the lyrics and Jeff Richmond composed the music.

In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Fey discussed the conversation with her husband, Richmond, that birthed the idea.

“It came about years later, after seeing the stickiness that the movie had, and the fact that it’s always on TBS and how it sort of wormed its way into everyday speech more than any of us expected,” said Fey. “It was probably my husband, Jeff, who said, ‘You know what? This could work as a musical.’”

The Broadway dates were officially announced on Sept. 6 through a teaser video released on the Mean Girls on Broadway social media accounts.

The show’s Broadway cast has not been announced yet, but the cast for the Washington premiere was announced and stars Taylor Louderman as head of the Plastics Regina George, Ashley Park as Gretchen Wieners and Kate Rockwell as Karen Smith. Erika Henningsen stars as transfer student Cady Heron.

A teaser video featuring Louderman, Park and Rockwell in character was also released on Sept. 11.

Tickets go on sale to the general public on Oct. 3, a day unofficially dubbed as “Mean Girls Day,” thanks to a quote from the movie.

Twitter: @BethanyWadeTWW