Dr. Alexander Dawoody awarded third Fulbright scholarship

Photo credit/ Katlynn Whitaker

Autumn Granza, Editor- in - Chief

Dr. Alexander Dawoody, Ph.D., associate professor of administrative studies, has been awarded his third Fulbright Scholarship through the Fulbright Program. The Fulbright Program is competitive, and merit-based grants are given to students, scholars, and teachers for international educational exchange.

Dawoody studied in Baku, Azerbaijan, during the 2012-2013 academic year as a Fulbright Core Scholar, a result of his first Fulbright scholarship. While there, he fostered relationships between Baku and Marywood University. Dawoody then traveled to Tegucigalpa, Honduras in Oct. 2013 as a Fulbright Specialist where he taught and did research.

“The Fulbright Program has accomplished a great deal; building bridges, building friendships, promoting academic excellence and bringing the world together,” said Dawoody.

This spring, from February to June, Dawoody will visit Kazakhstan, where he will teach global public policy and international relations for Fulbright’s Core Scholarship.

There are, however, differences between the Core Scholarship Program, Fulbright’s main program, and the Specialist Program. The Core Scholarship Program involves teaching, research, or a combination of the two. The Specialist Program, which involves a shorter time commitment, is geared toward a specific function such as research, project development, or any need assessment by the host institution.

“The interesting part about [Fulbright] is that you meet different people, you learn different dynamics, and hopefully you can bridge with them so they can learn from you as well,” said Dawoody. “Hopefully, the relationship that you establish continues beyond the Fulbright term and that’s the rewarding aspect of it.”

Not only was he awarded his third Fulbright Scholarship but Dawoody also recently received news that he was selected to be on the Fulbright reviewing committee for the Specialist Program in the field of public administration and political science.

“For me, Dr. Dawoody is one of those teachers whose lessons extend far beyond the classroom,” said Bo Hoban, one of Dawoody’s former graduate students. “His teaching style compelled me to look differently at life, with an open mind and through multiple lenses. He is a well-accomplished scholar and a gentleman of the first class. I am so grateful to have studied under him in my time at Marywood.”

“Dr. Dawoody exemplifies the qualities all professors should strive to achieve,” said junior health services administration major, Robert Gonzalez. “His academic knowledge, passion for his profession, and willingness to assist his students, set him apart from the majority of his peers. Being awarded a third Fulbright Scholarship Award simply reinforces the fact that Dr. Dawoody is an outstanding professor and an educator. Marywood University should be proud to have him on their staff.”

Dawoody said that Marywood’s support of its mission and goals to foster diversity, globalization, respect, and human dignity have allowed him the opportunities he’s had.

“I was able to do this and am thankful to Sr. Anne Munley, Dr. Alan Levine, my dean [Dr. Mark Rodgers], all my colleagues as well as the students that are all supportive. Because of them, I am able to do these things,” said Dawoody. “It is really a rewarding experience to go through this and then reap the outcomes.”