Expected snowfall causes delay for first day of spring semester

Back to Article
Back to Article

Snow falls outside the Liberal Arts Center the day before classes start for the spring 2018 semester.

Photo credit/ Bethany Wade

Photo credit/ Bethany Wade

Photo credit/ Bethany Wade

Justin Kucharski, Assistant News Editor

Marywood students are going to be waiting just a little bit longer to return to class.

Marywood notified all students Tuesday afternoon via the university’s homepage and an e2Campus text alert that classes will begin operating on a compressed schedule on Wednesday, Jan. 17, the first day of the spring 2018 semester. On the compressed schedule, classes and offices will be opening at 10 a.m. and the Fricchione Day Care Center will open at 9 a.m.

Under compressed schedules, Marywood will delay the beginning of classes until 10:00 a.m., 11:30 a.m. or 12 p.m. If a delay of classes until 11:30 a.m. or later is needed, the regular class schedule for the day will remain unchanged. Evening classes starting at 4 p.m. are not affected on a compressed schedule.

A detailed schedule showing the exact changes and times of classes for tomorrow’s compressed schedule can be found on Marywood’s website. Additionally, the first day of the semester will be following a Monday class schedule.

News of the change in schedule came shortly before the National Weather Service placed a Winter Weather Advisory over Lackawanna County, warning residents of the possible five to seven inches of snowfall they may be waking up to Wednesday morning.

The Winter Weather Advisory is scheduled to remain in effect until 5 a.m. on Wednesday, Jan. 17.

Follow The Wood Word for more updates on delays and closures.