SPORTS BRIEF: Marywood women’s soccer stays perfect in conference play

Photo credit/ Courtney Snyder

John Ferraro, Sports Editor

The Marywood women’s soccer team continued its impressive conference run with its fifth consecutive Colonial States Athletic Conference (CSAC) win against Gwynedd Mercy University (GMU) on Tuesday, Oct. 4.

The Pacers defeated the Griffins 2-1, improving to 5-4-1 (5-0, CSAC) while Gwynedd Mercy found themselves dropping to 4-4-2 (2-2, CSAC).

According to marywoodpacers.com, GMU came out of the gates quickly, scoring a goal at the 35 second mark by Anna Numerato to take the early lead.

However, that was the only shot the Pacers’ defense would allow for the rest of the period. The Pacers outshot the Griffins 16-1 in the first half.

Even with all of those shots, the Pacers could not find the back of the net before the break.

Just seven minutes into the second half, the Pacers’ aggressiveness on the offensive end paid off.

Freshman midfielder Jackie VonItter scored off sophomore midfielder Julie Youngman’s assist to tie the game at one goal apiece.

In the 59th minute, the Pacers found the net again. The freshman-sophomore combination of Desi Rill and Ashley Kruchinsky put the Pacers on top.

Rill sent the ball in that Kruchinsky settled and got past the Griffins goalkeeper for her third game-winning goal of the season.

The Pacers continue conference play as the team hosts Notre Dame of Maryland University tomorrow at 1 p.m.

Continue to follow The Wood Word or more coverage of Pacer home games.

Twitter: @JohnFerraro21