Volleyball team plays in pink for breast cancer awareness

TV-Marywood

Photo credit/ Bethany Wade

Freshman Jordan Vossler gets ready to save the point for her team.

Anne Zukowski, Web Editor

Marywood University’s volleyball team sponsored its annual Dig Pink volleyball match on Wednesday, Oct. 12, to raise money in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

The games started in Marywood’s Center for Athletics and Wellness at 5 p.m. with the Pacers playing against Neumann University.

At 7 p.m., Clarks Summit University faced Neumann and at 9 p.m., Clarks Summit played against the Pacers.

Clarks Summit head coach Elaine Brown wore a pink t-shirt and shared the importance of hosting this awareness match at a college.

“Anytime there is an event, it’s important to have that support,” said Brown. “It then becomes a personal situation.”

Throughout the night, there was a 50/50 raffle and t-shirts selling for $10.

According to Marywood’s volunteer volleyball coach Justin Allshouse, all proceeds from the event will go to the Nadine Cenci Marchegiani Foundation.

Spectators also had the opportunity to participate in a volley serve competition. The rules were to serve the ball over the net and land it on one of the several t-shirts scattered across the floor.

Freshman middle blocker and outside hitter Gabriella Santos participated in the both matches. Santos’ family members were also listed on the memory wall for loved ones.

“I feel really awesome participating in this event, especially about the awareness it brings for breast cancer and other cancers,” said Santos.

Junior Andrew Pellechia shared why he attended the game.

“I’m here to support my friends and watch some good volleyball matches,” said Pellechia. “I really appreciate what they’re doing with the Dig Pink game.”

Brooke Williams contributed to this report.