PACER SPORTS REPORT: Women’s soccer earns bye, Volleyball sweeps tri-match for playoff birth

Sophomore Mallorie Deschaine talking strategy during the match

Photo credit/ Bethany Wade

Photo credit/ Bethany Wade

John Ferraro, Sports Editor

Marywood University sports had a busy Saturday. From hosting a tri-match to celebrating seniors, it was an eventful day in Pacer sports.

Saturday, Oct. 22
Men’s Soccer
Cabrini University: 3 Marywood: 1

In a rematch of last year’s Colonial States Athletic Conference (CSAC) men’s soccer title game, the Pacers fell to Cabrini University.

According to marywoodpacers.com, with the loss and only two regular season games left, the Pacers can finish no better than a #6 seed in the playoffs.

The first half was a stalemate between the two teams. That changed for the Cavaliers just a few minutes into the second period. Cabrini’s A.J. Bishop scored on John Underwood’s pass to put the Cavaliers up 1-0 in the 49th minute. Just under 10 minutes later, a Bobby Kane header put the defending champs in a commanding 2-0 position. Bishop added his second goal in the 73rd minute before junior midfielder Chris Reynolds finally got the Pacers on the board in the 87th minute.
Th

e Pacers fell to 4-9-1 on the season and 2-4-1 in the CSAC.

Men's soccer couldn't fend off the defending champs

Photo credit/ Bethany Wade
Men’s soccer couldn’t fend off the defending champs

Volleyball Tri-Match
Marywood: 3 Immaculata University: 0
The Pacers clinched a CSAC playoff berth with a sweep of Immaculata University, 25-16, 25-18, and 27-25. Sophomore outsider Mallorie Deschaine had an impressive showing with a double-double, tallying a team-high 12 kills and 23 digs. Junior setter Danielle DeIulio contributed 28 assists and seven digs. As a team, Marywood recorded nine blocks on the day. Freshman middle-blocker Katherine McGrath led the squad with five blocks (one solo, four assists). The Mighty Macs struggled out of the gate posting a -.024-attack percentage in the first set. The team improved in attack percentage each set, but could not overcome the slow start.

Photo credit/ Bethany Wade

Marywood: 3 Manhattanville College: 0
The Pacers capped off the day with a sweep over Manhattanville College for their third win in a row, 25-22, 27-25, and 25-21. Deschaine notched yet another double-double with 13 kills and 13 digs.

The freshman middle-blocker combination of Gabbie Santos and Peri Sheerin each had 12 kills. Santos also posted a team-high hitting percentage of .346. The Valiants battled the Pacers to a 25-27 second set and finished with a .227 attack percentage, but only recorded two blocks the entire match to the Pacers 10.

It was Marywood’s 10th victory in the past 12 games.

Freshman Mikayla Attwood and junior Danielle DeIulio attempt to block a spike from the Valiant's Kerry Mackey

Freshman Mikayla Attwood and junior Danielle DeIulio attempt to block a spike from the Valiant’s Kerry Mackey

Women’s Soccer
Marywood: 5 Immaculata University: 0

The Marywood women’s soccer team earned a first round bye and at least a #2 seed in the CSAC playoffs with a shutout victory over Immaculata University.

The team could earn the #1 seed, which will be determined by both their game against Neumann University as well as Cabrini University’s game on the road at Gwynedd-Mercy University. Both games are scheduled for Thursday night.

The Pacers also celebrated Senior Day honoring defender/forward Elizabeth Carlson, midfielder/forward Brianna Bruster, defender Amy Moren, and midfielder Emily Gerbehy.

Gerbehy made the most of the day by scoring two goals. Just six minutes in, Gerbehy took sophomore forward Megan Swiecicki’s cross and put Marywood up 1-0.

Sophomore midfielder Julie Youngman caught fire in the second half, notching a goal and two assists less than 10 minutes into the period.

In the 74th minute, sophomore midfielder Aly Barlok capped off the scoring with her first goal of the season.

The Pacers improve to 8-5-2 overall with an 8-1-1 record in the CSAC.

Sophomore Julie Youngman plays in a conference game with the Mighty Macs

Sophomore Julie Youngman heads a ball during a conference game with the Mighty Macs

Twitter: @JohnFerraro21

• PACER SPORTS REPORT: Women’s soccer earns bye, Volleyball sweeps tri-match for playoff birth

Business students plan to launch Kickstarter campaign for invention

Arts & Entertainment

Marywood art therapy students make First Friday debut

Rugby

UPDATE: Men’s and women’s rugby take the field

Opinion

OPINION: It’s time to eliminate the ‘boys will be boys’ mindset

Community

Nutrition program gives a taste of upcoming campus cookbook

NEWS BRIEF: ‘Get out the vote’ efforts planned for U.S. midterm election

Opinion

OPINION: Kanye, what are you doing?

Featured Multimedia

Sports Talk S. 2 Episode 4: NBA G League’s select contract is a step in the right direction

Featured Multimedia

Valid Point Episode 1: Greetings, Ghosts and Ghouls

Marywood dedicates month of November to promoting its mission