SPORTS BRIEF: Despite late comeback, men’s basketball falls to Cabrini University

Photo credit/ Stephanie Leone

Marywood’s Jeremy Ringland battles Cabrini’s Tyheim Monroe in the Pacers 12 point loss

John Ferraro, Sports Editor

The Marywood University men’s basketball team is still searching for its first win after a 61-73 loss against Cabrini University Saturday afternoon.

Early in the first half, Marywood had an 8-4 lead as junior Jeremy Ringland had two early buckets and a couple of blocks. Cabrini then went on a run of its own to take a 19-12 lead.

Cabrini held a comfortable lead by pressuring the Pacers with a full court press trap defense. Marywood had 11 first half turnovers with about a five of them caused by the press.

However, Ringland kept the Pacers alive with his 15 points and five blocks. Marywood went into the break down 35-25.

The second half was all about Cavalier junior forward Tyheim Monroe.

Monroe, who averaged a double-double last season, found some holes in the Pacers’ zone defense, finishing the game with 25 points and 17 rebounds.

Ringland continued his impressive play, recording a team-high 23 points and six blocks – one shy of tying the school record for most blocks in a game, according to marywoodpacers.com.

The Pacers trailed 63-59 late in the fourth, but a 5-0 run put the game away for Cabrini.

Junior guard James Curley struggled from downtown going one for six. He had nine points, while sophomore guard Tip Swartz scored 10.
The Cavaliers converted 17 Pacer turnovers into 19 points for the win.

Cabrini improves to 4-2 (2-0, CSAC) while the Pacers fall to 0-7 (0-3, CSAC).

Marywood’s next game is at home against non-conference opponent Moravian College tomorrow at 7 p.m.

Twitter: @JohnFerraro21