CMYKlub showcases drop caps at First Friday

Photo credit/ Photo Credit/ Katlynn Whitaker

Meredith Harding and Ashley Kujat, senior graphic design majors, and Emily Mouillesseaux look at art from the CMYK showcase at The Workshop.

Autumn Granza, Editor-in-Chief

The Workshop, a letterpress art space on Adams Avenue owned and operated by Christine Medley, MFA, assistant professor of art, hosted Marywood’s CMYKlub’s gallery in the First Friday show.

First Friday is an art event held in Scranton every first Friday of the month.

Their topic for the First Friday show was drop caps, the large capital letter at the beginning of text. This topic allowed the club to be creative while making the alphabet. The drop cap theme was a group decision.

“Typography is a huge part of the graphic design world,” said Ashley Kujat, senior graphic design major and CMYKlub president. “Using drop caps as the basis for the show allowed us to create 26 different letters to exhibit at The Workshop on First Friday.”

Each student was tasked with using different art mediums to create a letter of the alphabet. Some students had two letters since the whole alphabet was needed. Some of the different art mediums that were used include: collages, spray paint, paper collage, pen and ink (illustration), photography, the use of materials such as leaves, paint, and pencil. Ironically, none of the letters were created using letterpress.

“We had a great turnout,” said Kujat. “Many guests came to look at the drop caps A-Z, ate letter themed snacks, and made buttons to keep for themselves. The CMYKlub plans on creating and printing a drop cap book with all the entries.”

Medley, who also serves as the CMYKlub adviser, was happy to offer up The Workshop for the event.
“The goal is to exhibit each year,” said Medley. “I offered The Workshop space. I want them to be involved in First Friday and I am glad to let them use the space for the show.”

Shelby Farrell, senior illustration major, thought showcasing at First Friday was a great idea.
“[First Friday] is a really great opportunity for exposure,” said Farrell. “In the CMYKlub, we share ideas with people and it helps us grow as artists.”

According to Kujat, another First Friday show with the theme of food is in the works.
The CMYKlub is reserved for art minors and majors. The club meets every Wed. at 2:30 p.m. For more information contact cmedley@marywood.edu.