What The Fork brings new flavors to campus community

Photo credit/ Photo credit Paul Capoccia

Students line up to purchase food from the What the Fork Truck. What the Fork eagerly returns this year to once again provide unique menu options on campus.

Mackenzie Warren, Web Editor

What The … Fork!

To the delight of many in the campus community, What The Fork, the popular local food truck that received national recognition last year thanks to a contest sponsored by “Live with Kelly & Michael,” has been making Marywood a regular stop on its weekly route.

Last year, rumors swirled that Marywood administration tried to kick What The Fork off campus for selling food and drawing business away from Chartwells, the University’s official food service provider.

Students took to social media about the issue, voicing their opinions about the topic and stating that they want What The Fork near campus.

Many students at other universities in NEPA, wait for the day the food truck is near their campus.

Mike Finegan, chief of campus safety, had stated in an interview, that there are no safety concerns regarding the food truck on campus, and that no new safety regulations will be put in place regarding the matter.

“There is no issue with the trucks conducting business on public streets near campus, and I have no personal problem with the trucks conducting business, as long as it is not done on campus property,” said Finegan.

Many students line up outside the truck for lunch and dinner.

Bill Katchalylas, a barista at the Connections Cafe, said he thinks the trucks are benefiting the students on campus.

“I think it benefits [students]; it gives you other food to eat besides this food here. It brings outside food in,” said Katchalylas.

Efforts to reach Mr. Joseph X. Garvey, vice president for business affairs and treasurer, and Mr. Jonathan Barzensky, senior director of dining services, were unsuccessful. For more information on What the Fork, follow them on Facebook or Twitter.