BlogCon returns for third year

Event aids small business marketing

Photo credit/ Photo Courtesy/ Mandy Boyle

Autumn Granza, Editor-in-Chief

If you’re a lover of blogging and social media, you’ll want to be at College Misericordia on Saturday, Oct. 11.

That’s when NEPA BlogCon will return for its third consecutive year. BlogCon is Northeastern Pennsylvania’s only blogging and social media conference.

NEPA BlogCon’s focus is to bring together bloggers, regardless of experience, who are interested in marketing, social media, and communicating through the internet. The event is also helpful for small business owners and students who may want to focus on marketing, technology, and blogging for business.

“I think this is a great event for everyone,” said Mandy Boyle, BlogCon co-founder, adjunct professor and Marywood alumnus. “There are so many different people. Whether you have a blog, don’t have a blog, or want to start a small business, this event is for you.”

The conference will host beginner and advanced sessions on various topics including: social media in sports marketing, finding your photographer’s voice, using Facebook to grow your business, blog monetization, brand building, and getting started with YouTube.

“BlogCon is a great opportunity to network while being inspired to move your blog to the next level,” said Laurie McMillan, Ph.D., associate professor of English and department chair who will give a presentation at BlogCon. “Our presentation will focus on ways to get started with simple film techniques, basic equipment, and straightforward editing. Starting with just a few principles can allow bloggers to focus on getting appropriate content out to their audience to help their reach grow.”

Featured speakers for this year’s BlogCon include: Brian Coe of the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins, Frances Croke Page of the PureFoodsProject, Danielle Fleming of NOTE Fragrances, Him Cheney of Uncovering PA, and internationally-acclaimed blogger and non-profit founder, Shane Burcaw of Laughing at My Nightmare.

“There is a large array of topics ranging from entrepreneurship to building your own Facebook. It allows people to connect with each other,” said Boyle.

All proceeds from this year’s BlogCon will be applied to STEM education, which stands for Science, Technology, Engineering and Math. STEM is curriculum based and teaches students those four disciplines based on real world applications. STEM education is a regional code camp that will launch in the summer of 2015 for girls in grades 4-6.

Tickets are available for $15. Registration is open at nepablogcon.com. Tickets include lunch, a “SWAG bag,” a t-shirt, and admission to all sessions.

For more information and to purchase tickets visit: http://nepablogcon.com/

• BlogCon returns for third year

Community

Annual research forum invites faculty participation for the first time

• BlogCon returns for third year

Community

Student-made exhibition shines light on rape culture myth

• BlogCon returns for third year

Community

Business class organizes service projects

• BlogCon returns for third year

Community

Two annual events combine for first College Carnival

• BlogCon returns for third year

Community

Sr. John Says: Safety in schools

• BlogCon returns for third year

Community

Student work showcased at Bayleaf Live and Bayleaf Open

• BlogCon returns for third year

Community

Talking to Strangers: March of Our Lives

• BlogCon returns for third year

Community

The Wood Word’s Day Off: Getting the Scoop on Manning’s

• BlogCon returns for third year

Community

• BlogCon returns for third year

Community

Perfectly Imperfect Week includes events to celebrate body positivity