Student Spotlight – Amanda Hirschler

Paul Capoccia, Community Editor

Name: Amanda Hirschler

Major: Theater

Year: 2017

Hometown: Factoryville, PA

Amanda Hirschler was the stage manager for Marywood’s production of “Dead Man’s Cellphone.

Q: When did you become involved with theater?

A: First grade. It was the “Wizard of Oz,” and I was a munchkin. It was just the elementary school play, and I had already been taking dance, and I thought it would be fun since it had to do with dance. So I did theater all throughout elementary school and high school as well as community theater. It’s always been a big part of my life.

Q: Is this your first time being a stage manager?

A: My first time with Marywood, yes. I did a little helping with stage management as part of my senior project in high school with stage directing a show. This is my first official time as stage manager, though. It’s a big job.

Q: What’s your favorite part of being stage manager for “Dead Man’s Cellphone”?

A: Probably being able to be there from the beginning. I started attending meetings during the summer and I got to meet with the directors and producers, and that was just the birth of the show. Then we got to bring the actors in to see who would fit in what role … it’s a gratifying experience to see a whole production come together.

Q: What are you looking to do with theater in the future?

A: My ultimate goal is New York. Anything I can do. The ideal is probably to be performing in NYC but I think it would be cool to do regional theaters like in Boston. Even to get experience with Disney Cruise lines since a lot of them transfer to Broadway. That’d be really cool to do.

Q: What’s your favorite play/performance of all time?

A: “West Side Story.” I guess it was one of the first big musicals I was obsessed with. It’s the classic Romeo & Juliet story, but it is more cutting edge and exciting and the time period and gangs and trouble in New York was a real thing that happened, and it and the music were great.