Scranton book fair returns to Marywood

Paul Capoccia, Community Editor

The second annual Scranton Radical Book Fair will be held March 28 in the Upper Dining Room and Fireplace Lounge in the Nazareth Student Center from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.

The event aims to promote the ideas of social, environmental, and economic justice in the Scranton area and will include an exposition of books, zines, pamphlets, art, and other cultural and political creations, according to the fair’s Facebook page.The day will include presentations, workshops, art, and music from vendors and artists throughout the community at large and from locations as far as Philadelphia, New Jersey, and Baltimore.

Dr. Samantha Christiansen and Jonathan Christiansen are two of the event’s coordinators and are excited for what can come of it the second time around.”

Last year … the response was really positive,” said Dr. Samantha Christiansen, assistant professor of history. “The idea is to create a space to explore ideas and perspectives that are often excluded or marginalized and to broaden the range of dialogue and conversations in our community.”

Jonathan Christiansen, a lecturer in the history department, is also thrilled with the positive feedback, and is excited about what that feedback allowed the event to become this year. “We have speakers coming from around the northeast to talk about a variety of topics including anarchism and prisoner abuse issues. We also have several local speakers addressing local topics such as the expansion of the landfill in Dunmore.

In addition, there will be many organizations setting up tables to sell books and hand out information … about social and environmental justice groups,” said Jonathan Christiansen.

The Scranton Radical Book Fair was inspired by Anarchist book fairsattended by Jonathan Christiansen in Boston. This fair, like those, is built to begin and continue discussions for social justice while allowing promoters of peace to form connections and relationships.

Dr. Samantha Christiansen hopes those discussions pop up throughout the event on March 28.

“I love the conversations that emerge when people really open up to hearing a new perspective. This is what a university education is all about,” said Dr. Samantha Christiansen. Information about the event can be found on the event’s Facebook event page or on the fair website, http://scrantonradicalbookfair.weebly.com/participants.html.