Politician take long campaign walk to Scranton

Admiral+Joe+Sestak+talks+to+Lackawanna+County+Democratic+Party+Chairman+Chris+Patrick+outside+of+the+Northern+Lights+Caf%C3%A9.+

Photo credit/ Katlynn Whitaker

Admiral Joe Sestak talks to Lackawanna County Democratic Party Chairman Chris Patrick outside of the Northern Lights Café.

Amanda Duncklee, Community Editor

On Wed. Oct. 7, U.S. Senate bid and former Navy officer, Admiral Joe Sestak walked 17 miles from Wilkes-Barre to Scranton as a promotion for his 2016 U.S. Senate run.

The purpose of this walk is for Sestak to earn Pennsylvanians’ trust by “walking in their shoes” and to work together to achieve the “American Dream.”

When he first announced his bid in March, Sestak walked 422 miles from the New Jersey border to the Ohio border as a part of his “422 Plus Walk.”
Sestak’s most recent walk started at The Chill Grill in Wilkes-Barre and ended at the Northern Lights Café and Espresso Bar in Scranton. At both stops, Sestak discussed his policies and information from his book “Walking in Your Shoes to Restore the American Dream.”
During his walk, Sestak talked to people walking with him and others by phone about his ideas for the nation.

“I did an extra three miles today since I lost track of time while talking on the phone,” said Sestak. “I’m a sailor and not used to land.”
Sestak was in the Navy for 31 years. He is a three-star admiral and is the highest ranking Naval officer who was elected into the House of Representatives in United States history.
Once he arrived in Scranton, Sestak and those who wanted to hear him speak entered an upstairs loft at Northern Lights.

“I’m here because I want to chat a bit,” said Sestak.

Topics of conversation included Sestak’s views regarding the infrastructure of Pennsylvania, small businesses, manufacturing and his views on what the American dream means to him.

“Pennsylvania roads rank in the bottom of states regarding quality,” said Sestak. “Small businesses are the key; if you want to get your goods to market, you need good roads.”
As for one of the biggest problems in the United States, Sestak said the biggest deficit was the “trust deficit” and that he hopes to restore Americans’ trust.
“We [Sestak’s administration] want to serve the public,” said Sestak. “At the end of the day, what I mean by trust is accountability. That means answering for one’s deeds, not for what one says or intends.”
Sestak said that his administration works long days seven days a week in order to meet the concerns of those who have questions for him.

“It’s 24/7 and it has to be,” said Sestak.
Toward the end of his talk, Sestak discussed what the American Dream means to him. He said that the American Dream is “when you believe strongly that your children have the opportunity to do better than you.”
Chris Baker, a former student from Penn State who took a break from his schooling to aid Sestak on his campaign since May 2015, was excited to stand by Sestak at the event.
“I was a sophomore at Penn and took time off because I felt so strongly about Sestak,” said Baker. “The more I learned, the more I liked him. I can’t say enough good things about him.”

Contact the writer: [email protected]

Twitter: @ADuncklee_TW