Blood drive saves lives

Photo credit/ Esperanza Gutierrez

Esperanza Gutierrez, Assistant Community Editor

Campus ministry sponsored a Red Cross Blood Drive on Wednesday, Jan. 20 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Marywood University in the Latour Room in the Nazareth Student Center. 

Mary Roche, secretary at Campus Ministry for 15 years, planned the event.

“The blood drive has been going on at our campus for over 20 years,” Roche said. “Campus Ministry plans this event because this is life support for many people who need blood. We get such a great turnout with students. We feel it is a good cause that is worth while.”

One of those students is Stephanie Bagniewski, senior biology major.

“I’ve donated blood in high school before and I always thought it was a worthwhile cause,” Bagniewski said. “I figured, why not? I can do it again here. I think everything that the American Red Cross does everyday is pretty amazing.”

Tiffany Brown, manager of doctor recruitment with the American Red Cross for 15 years, oversaw the event.

Brown said, “We are looking to collect 35 units of blood, which is a little under a pint. The blood that is collected today will go to patients in need.”

Brown also wanted to thank Marywood University.

“We are so appreciative of what Marywood does,” Brown said. “It’s a smaller campus and we are able to be here today to collect blood, to save lives.”
The American Red Cross achieved 100 percent of their goal at the blood drive. 36 units of blood were collected, according to Brown.

Brown also said, “43 donors participated and two of the donors were double red donations. There were 14 first time donors and seven deferrals out of the 43 that registered.”

According to Roche, “The next blood drive that Campus Ministry will be sponsoring for the American Red Cross will be held on Monday, April 11, 2016.”

Contact the writer:

[email protected]