Colleges Against Cancer club relays its message

Photo credit/ Katlynn Whitaker

Jovanna Laurencin, far right, leads the Colleges Against Cancer club’s first meeting in the Fireplace Lounge.

Jessica Bonacci, Opinion Editor

Cancer affects the lives of many people and their families. Members of Marywood’s new Colleges Against Cancer club have set out to change that.

The National Cancer Institute reports that, “an estimated 1,685,210 new cases of cancer will be diagnosed in the United States in 2016.”

Jovanna Laurencin, a sophomore hospitality management major, has personal connections to the disease, which inspired her to start Marywood’s chapter of Colleges Against Cancer, a “nationwide collaboration of college students, faculty, and staff dedicated to eliminating cancer by working to implement the programs and mission of the American Cancer Society.”

“In middle school, one of my close friends passed away from cancer and it was really tough on the community,” said Laurencin. “Then a while after he passed away my great aunt died from breast cancer. And that’s when I started wondering more about [cancer].”

According to Laurencin, the club aims to “show that young people care and want to make a difference.”

The goals of the Colleges Against Cancer club this semester are to get the organization off of the ground and participate in the Relay for Life, which will happen in April at the University of Scranton. Laurencin also aims to use the meeting times as educational sessions to learn more about the different types of cancer.

“Being a part of the Relay for Life at home, it was like, ‘Wow, this really touches people.’ The little things do,” Laurencin said. “I think that’s what makes it special. That’s why I feel like Marywood should be involved in things like that.”

Students in attendance shared their stories at the club’s first meeting, which took place on Friday, Feb. 5 at 2 p.m. in the Fireplace Lounge.

Sophomore music therapy major Madison Indyk said, “Cancer has effected a lot of my family. I want to inform people about it. I thought this was a nice introduction to start [the club] up.”

Other students in attendance had similar goals.

“I recently lost my grandfather over winter break to lung cancer,” said sophomore nutrition major Caroline Borne. “I want to live through his honor and honor other survivors.”

The message that Laurencin hopes to send to the community is one of hope.

“There is still hope,” said Laurencin. “Even though you’re fighting and battling for your life there’s still hope.