Group Spotlight: Speech and Hearing Club

Photo credit of Renee S. Jourdanais, clinical faculty, clinical director.

Esperanza Gutierrez, Assistant Community Editor

There is one club that many have not heard of: Marywood University’s National Student Speech Language Hearing Association (NSSLHA), also known as the speech and hearing club.

The Speech and Hearing Club provides different advocacy activities for the profession. This includes community service, fundraising and spreading awareness, according to Andera Novak, faculty advisor of the speech and hearing club.

“The purpose of our organization is to advocate for our profession, as well as make the university community aware of what we do as a group,” said Novak.

The speech and hearing club received a grant this year, which benefits the St. Joseph’s Center. The club was able to purchase some assistive communication devices.

Taylor Patullo, junior, communications sciences and disorders major, president of the speech and hearing club, said, “The club is open to anyone who wants to join. We are also recognized as Gold Status members by NSSLHA, our national student organization”.

Gold status is a recognition the club received for hosting activities and donating money to CSD related causes that help promote what students do in the department as clinicians, according to Patullo.

Some of the advocacy activities include contacting legislators to help move forward any bills or laws that would help benefit the communications sciences disorders (CSD) program and the community as well.

On Feb. 23 the club celebrated their CSD Day in the Nazareth Student Center in the Fireplace Lounge from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Posters, stations and informational videos were set up to address different disorders. This includes disorders having to do with language, articulation, hearing, cognition, fluency and voice.

There are currently 50 active members.

Club meetings are held once a month at 3 p.m. in the Mcgowan Center for Graduate and Professional Studies in room 1055.

The next meeting will be held on March 30.

Contact the Writer:
[email protected]