Student Organizations to Host “Cruisin’ for a Cause” during Alumni and Family Weekend

As part of Alumni and Family Weekend, Marywood student organizations are hosting the first “Cruisin’ for a Cause” benefiting the Saint Joseph’s Center.

UPDATE: The “Cruisin’ for a Cause” car show has been rescheduled for Sunday, October 8 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Marywood’s annual Alumni and Family Weekend will see a new addition to its event lineup this year.

Student-run organizations such as Students Organized to Uphold Life (SOUL), Marywood Activities Council (MAC), Student Alumni Association (SAA) and Alpha Sigma Psi are hosting Marywood’s first “Cruisin’ for a Cause,” a car show benefiting Saint Joseph’s Center. The event will take place in the Nazareth Student Center Parking Lot.

The show will feature exclusive models presented by Hi-Lites Motor Club, a local group that prides itself on bringing both individuals and families together through their love of old cars, trucks, and motorcycles. Hi-Lites also uses funds raised and donated to support local charities. Select cars will be judged and a winner will be picked at 1 p.m.

Zachary Houston, president of SOUL, expressed his excitement for the upcoming event.

“I’m hoping this will be a community-building event that will unify both university and local people and organizations to make this not only a success this year, but a new Marywood tradition,” said Houston.

Sale proceeds from the bake sale, refreshment stand, and raffle tickets will go to the Saint Joseph’s Center. There is no entry fee, but monetary donations will be accepted and are greatly appreciated.

According to SAA’s Michael Romano, students can also enter their own vehicles free of charge.

“It’s going to be a great event. We’ve reached out to many local organizations and groups and hope to have a great impact on the Saint Joseph’s Center at Marywood’s first-ever car show,” said Romano.

Saint Joseph’s Center is located on Adams Avenue, just south of Marywood’s campus. Sponsored by the Congregation of the Sisters, Servants of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, the center focuses on supporting individuals with special needs in order to help them reach their greatest potential and abilities.

Contact the Writer: [email protected]