Students showcase talents at Open Mic Night

Photo credit/ Photo Credit/ Autumn Granza

Marywood’s acapella group, Nomadic Chromatics, sing at Open Mic Night.

Autumn Granza, Editor-in-Chief

Marywood students have got talent, and they showed it off at last week’s Open Mic Night.

The Student Activities Crew (SAC) hosted its first Open Mic Night of the semester on Feb. 16 at 9 p.m. in the Fireplace Lounge of the Nazareth Student Center. Open Mic Night is a social event that is free and open to the Marywood community.

“Just show up the night of and sign up,” said SAC intern Rachel James, junior criminal justice and sociology major.

Performers include singers, acoustic acts, pianists, and Marywood’s acapella group–Nomadic Chromatics. According to James, poetry and spoken word has become popular, too.

“[Open Mic Night] is really successful each year,” said James. “Everyone always wants [Open Mic Night]… I think it’s an event that is demanded.”

According to James, audience members often consist of performer’s friends showing support.

James Phillips, junior environmental science major and member of Nomadic Chromatics, said people should come to Open Mic Night because it’s fun.

“A lot of people do a lot of different artsy things. A lot of them don’t know about Open Mic Night, so it’s probably a better opportunity for them to get out, come do their fun thing, let other people in on the fun, and just hang out with people,” said Phillips.

Two more Open Mic Nights are planned for this semester. The next one will be March 23 and the second, April 13. SAC members are also planning a Comedy Show that will be held on April 20 in the Black Box Theatre of the Sette LaVerghetta Center For Performing Arts.

More information on the Comedy Show is to be announced. Contact SAC at [email protected] with any questions.

Contact the writer:

[email protected]