‘Wonder of the World’ production receives special recognition

Sarah Wagner and Ellis Vogt perform as Cass and Captain Mike. Photo courtesy of Marywood Marketing and Communications

Victoria DeFrancis, Contributor

Editor’s note: The original version of this story stated that Helena Rankin received recognition for lighting design. It has been corrected and now states that Rankin received recognition for sound design.

Members of the Marywood Players were recognized for their recent production of “Wonder of the World.”

The production caught the attention of the American College Theatre Festival. Chair of Theatre and Music Studies at SUNY Brockport Trish Ralph was the American College Theatre Festival’s respondent for the Oct. 6 showing of the “Wonder of the World.”

Senior Theater Major Sarah Wagner and Freshman Elementary Education Major Angela Klawiter were nominated to participate in the Irene Ryan Scholarship Award auditions that will be held in January.

Angela Klawiter performs as the clown marriage counselor. Photo courtesy of Marywood Marketing and Communications

“Wonder of the World” also received praise for “Excellence in Student and Alumni Design Collaboration” from the American College Theatre Festival. Recent graduate Tiffany Atkins received this recognition for scenic design. Junior Theatre Student Jakob Pepper was recognized for lighting design, while Senior Theatre Student Helena Rankin was recognized for sound design.

Helena Rankin, Tiffany Atkins and Jakob Pepper received recognitions for design. Photo courtesy of Marywood Marketing and Communications

Director of the Marywood Theatre Program Charles Gorden said he felt proud of the production of “Wonder of the World” and the hard work that his students put forth to help put it together.

Each student designer will enter their work for competition at the regional festival, which will be held at Montclair State University in January 2019.