Asylum returns to South Campus for another night of scares

Autumn Granza, Editor-in-Chief

With Halloween approaching, the Resident Assistants (RAs) at Marywood are planning another year of spooky fun for Marywood students.

The Asylum is set for Nov. 1 from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. at Marywood’s South Campus.

Part of being an RA, according to Ryan Kozich, junior music education major, is to plan a weekend event that students all across campus can attend. That’s just what he, Joe Duda, sophomore philosophy major; Emily Osborne, senior speech-language pathology major; and Neena Hurley, junior early childhood education/special education dual major, are doing.

Both Kozich and Hurley worked with alumna Brielle Mayle, who ran The Asylum last year. Mayle also helped the students with plans this year.

According to Kozich, this year’s tour is slightly different than last year’s. This year’s tour will be a storyline of a haunted house.

There will be two tours. Each tour is sure to scare with one being an “in-your-face” action tour and the other, more interactive. The tour routes will also be different.

“I’m excited to see how people react to our new and improved asylum tours on South Campus,” said Hurley.

New this year is that the tour will be free for all Marywood students, faculty, and staff. Last year, attendees had to pay a $3 admission fee. The money raised went into the Marywood Fund. This year, tours will be free to ensure everyone has a chance to be involved.

“The more people that come, the more fun it is for everyone, and that’s our main goal,” said Kozich.

The request for approval to host the event at South Campus was not easy, according to Kozich. He had to get approval from Housing and Residence Life, Campus Safety, and Joseph X. Garvey, vice president for business affairs and treasurer.

For safety reasons, attendees will be asked to sign a waiver and provide identification before entering the Asylum. However, Kozich promised that no one will jump out and touch attendees. Tour guides will also be with the group the whole time in case an attendee needs assistance.

“The event is being held because it is just a fun time. I know a lot of people who love to go to haunted houses during this time of the year, but sometimes they get pretty pricey for college students,” said Kozich. “The Asylum will take you on an interactive tour that will leave you scared and speechless. You will never think of South Campus the same way again.”

Anyone interested in volunteering at the event should contact Kozich at rkozich@m.marywood.edu.