Marywood ranks in best value school, best school for veterans categories

Rachel Looker, Editor-in-Chief

Marywood once again placed in the 2018 U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges rankings.

The university was ranked in several categories, including best value, best college for veterans, and best regional university.

• 2018 Best Value School: Ranked 31 out of 84 schools
    Schools ranked in the best value category were based on the ratio of quality to price, need-based aid and the average discount of each university, according to U.S. News & World Report’s website.
  • 2018 Best Colleges for Veterans: Ranked 34 out of 50 schools
    Rankings for the best colleges for veterans were based on a minimum number of veterans and active service members at each university, as well as a university being certified for the G.I. Bill and participating in the Yellow Ribbon Program.
  • 2018 Best Regional Universities-North: Tied at 56 out of 196 schools
    For best regional universities in the north category, Marywood tied in 56th place with CUNY-City College, Merrimack College in Massachusetts, Notre Dame of Maryland University, Seton Hall University and SUNY- Fredonia.

U.S. News & World Report, a publisher that releases ratings of best colleges, best graduate schools and best hospitals, announced the rankings of the top universities on Sept. 13. Last year, U.S. News & World Report also rated Marywood in the 2017 Best Colleges ranking, placing the university in the following rankings:

• 2017 Best Value School: Ranked 18 out of 42 schools
  • 2017 Best Colleges for Veterans: Ranked 29 out of 54 schools
  • 2017 Best Regional Universities-North: Ranked 51 out of 195 schools

In the regional universities north category, the total number of schools rated doubled from a total of 42 schools last year to 84 this year.

According to Public Relations Coordinator Sherry Frable, Marywood ranked well given the criteria for each category.

“The survey is so skewed and the criteria is so skewed … sometimes it’s to our benefit and sometimes it’s not,” she said. “We’re kind of middle of the road.”

According to U.S. News and College Report’s website, rankings are based on location and feel of campus life, activities and sports, academic offerings and cost and availability of financial aid.

“While we measure the success of our university experience in many meaningful ways, the continued diligence of our faculty, our students, our staff, and our administrators distinguishes a Marywood education, and our values and mission further enhance this distinctive experience,” said Marywood President Sr. Mary Persico, IHM, Ed.D, in an article on Marywood’s website.

Twitter: @RLookerTWW