Faculty Senate reacts to armed suspect

Rachel Looker, Editor-in-Chief

Marywood’s Faculty Senate discussed the armed student who was apprehended on campus in a regularly scheduled Faculty Senate meeting Friday afternoon.

Both Marywood President Sr. Mary Persico, IHM, Ed. D. and Provost Dr. Susan Turell attended the meeting to discuss the situation.

According to Persico, faculty were concerned about students and asked questions regarding the protocols in place for emergency situations.

Persico said she repeated what she told the Marywood community at a campus-wide meeting earlier Friday morning to address concerns over the incident.

According to Faculty Senate Vice President Dr. Erin Sadlack, Persico made sure concerns from faculty members were heard.

Sadlack said faculty brainstormed ideas on how to handle these types of emergency situations.

She added it is important to “make sure the conversation keeps going on.”

Faculty Senate President Dr. Sarah Kenehan said the meeting “felt productive.”

Kenehan said that faculty members had their own points of view regarding the response to the situation last Wednesday.

Chair of Religious Studies Sr. Mary Ann Zimmer also added that she felt faculty members each reacted to the incident differently based on their personalities.

Zimmer said faculty discussed ways to improve the emergency notification system and talked about the security of buildings around campus.

She said she felt it was a “good start” for discussion on these types of issues.

Follow The Wood Word for more updates.

Twitter: @RLookerTWW