Marywood joins growing list of schools moving to online instruction amid coronavirus outbreak

Photo credit: Jeremy Stanton

Justin Kucharski, Editor-in-Chief

In response to the evolving concern regarding novel coronavirus (COVID-19), all classes will now be instructed online beginning March 23 according to an email sent to students, faculty and staff by Marywood University. Face-to-face classes are scheduled to resume April 14.

This news comes two days after the university announced that all face-to-face classes would be cancelled for the week beginning March 16.

According to an email sent by Housing and Residence Life, resident students may make appointments for March 15 or 16 to retrieve items from their dorms.

According to the Pennsylvania Department of Health, there are 27 presumptive cases in the state and six confirmed. There are currently no cases in Lackawanna county.

According to the NativityMiguel School of Scranton’s Facebook page, the school will be closed for 10 business days following Governor Tom Wolf’s announcement that all K-12 school must close for 10 business days. Marywood Heights also announced on their Facebook page that they will no longer be accepting any visitors at this time.

For continuing updates on Marywood’s response regarding the COVID-19 pandemic, stay tuned to The Wood Word.

Briana Ryan contributed to this piece.

Twitter: @JKucharskiTWW