Campus’ latest dining option is the Market at Marywood

Photo credit/ Thomas Kerrigan

The Market at Marywood, located in the McGowan Center for Graduate and Professional Studies, is opened Monday through Thursday 11-6 p.m., and on Friday’s 11-2 p.m.

Nick Ferraro, Contributor

A new convenience store has opened inside of the McGowan Center in place of the Atrium for students this semester with the opening of the Market at Marywood. The Marywood community will now have a convenient option that will provide them with many small essential items which has not been the case for the school up until this point.

While there are the options of snack and drink machines, the all-you-care-to-eat dining facility in the Nazareth Student Center and the café in the Learning Commons, the Market will offer much more in terms of in-dorm or quick snack options.

Chartwells’ Director of Dining Services Mark Devlinsaid the store was opened out of convenience.

“The Market was brought in to fill a void instead of students going off campus to get groceries, bringing a convenient store to Marywood made ideal sense,” said Devlin.

Students can now get items they need or want at a walking distance instead of having to plan a trip to a grocery store if they’re without a car. However, the Market at Marywood, which replaced the Atrium, wasn’t always the plan.

“The old Atrium, for the last five years, has had declining participation,” said Devlin. “So, when COVID hit, keeping students on campus instead of going to grocery stores made a lot of sense.”

Some of the items available at the Market includes snacking items, microwavable foods, as well as household items and health aides. Also sold at the Market are items that can be used to combat COVID-19 such as hand sanitizer and disinfectant wipes. According to Devlin, students will have a variety of options at purchasing point in the Market. Options such as a student’s ‘declining balance’ or their ‘Pacer Points’ are acceptable as well as options like cash or card.

Senior Joseph Teeple, a student in the clinical psychology doctoral program, said he’s enjoying the Market.

“I think it’s a nice addition to campus. It’s an easy way to get something to eat or drink without much thought,” said Teeple. “I am going to miss the café that used to be there, though. The made-to-order food was great.”

Emily Dyminski, a sophomore early childhood and elementary education major, also said she is going to miss the hot food options and believes the Market could incorporate a trait seen in some convenience stores.

“I think they should add one of the warm, grab-and-go areas that keep food warm at a Sheetz or Wawa,” said Dyminski. “You’re not going to want to get a cold sandwich on a cold winter day.”

Besides the hot food options, Dyminski said she is also going to miss the sense of community that was provided at the Atrium.

“I used to walk in there and see all my [lacrosse] teammates, get to say hello and eat with them for lunch without planning it. It was just nice to see my friends all the time.”

The Market at Marywood is open Monday through Thursday 11-6 p.m., and on Fridays 11-2 p.m. in the McGowan Center for Graduate and Professional Studies.